T Level Construction: Design, Surveying & Planning for Construction
Construction & Construction Trades
Students aged 16-18
What is the course about?
Our exciting new T Level Design, Surveying & Planning for Construction is ideal for anyone wanting a career in construction, specifically in surveying and design, civil engineering, building services design, or hazardous materials surveying. This two-year course is equivalent to three A levels and is delivered through a combination of classroom-based study and within an industry setting.
Delivered by expert teachers and industry specialists, this programme will broaden your options as you will cover a variety of topics and specialist areas. This means that when it comes to employment, you’ll have the knowledge and skills to go wherever your ambitions take you.
Why should I choose the course?
This T Level programme is delivered over two years and has been designed in collaboration with our expert teaching team, industry links and employers. Through a blend of classroom working and an extended industry placement, you will be fully prepared for a highly successful career within civil engineering, technical surveyor, building technician and/or building control officer and many more.
You will develop knowledge and understanding of concepts, theories and principles, supporting practical application of skills, both within the classroom setting and within an extended Industry placement. This will ensure that you are fully equipped for your next steps.
You will learn in state-of-the-art workshops within our specialist Construction & Civil Engineering Academy, equipped with all of the latest industry-standard equipment and innovative technologies.
What will I learn?
Topics covered will include:
- Health and safety
- The science behind building design, surveying and planning
- Construction methods
- Building regulations and standards
- Data management and information standards in construction
- Relationship management and customer service
- How the Internet of Things (IoT) impacts construction
- Digital engineering techniques
- Mathematical techniques to solve construction problems
- Construction design principles and processes
- The construction industry and its role in the economy
- Sustainability and the environmental impact of construction
- Business, commerce and corporate social responsibility.
You will also learn about topics specific to design, surveying and planning, including:
- Project management
- Budgeting and resource allocation
- Risk management
- Surveying and design for construction and the built environment.
What will the course lead on to?
This T Level will fully prepare you for employment, higher education and a dynamic career. Due to the broad range of topics covered on the course you will be fully-equipped for a career in a variety of settings. You could work as:
- Civil engineer - entry level positions start at £34,029 per year while most experienced workers make up to £57,500 per year.
- Technical surveyor - entry level positions start at £35,000 per year while most experienced workers make up to £65,000 per year.
- Building technician - the average building services technician salary is £30,000 per year or £15.38 per hour.
- Building control officer - starting salaries can range from £22,000 to £27,000 a year. Experienced officers can earn between £30,000 and £40,000.
You can also use this T Level to progress to a related higher apprenticeship or degree-level study.
Are there any links with industry and university?
Our construction department are exceptionally proud to work with a range of high-profile employers to enhance students’ college experience, including Forterra, Equans and Aico, to name but a few.
You will also complete an extended industry placement, equivalent to 315 hours, over two years. Whilst it is beneficial for you to self-source your own industry placement, you will have the support of our dedicated Industry Placement Team to provide help in finding relevant placements.
What support is available?
You will be allocated a Progress Coach who will provide you with support to help you succeed on your study programme and progress onto your chosen career or destination. We have a team of staff dedicated to providing additional learning support if required, as well as a highly-trained Welfare Team who are on hand to offer guidance, support and advice. Additionally, eligible students can access a wide range of finance and funding support to help them during their time at college.
Click here to find out more about learning support: https://wvr.ac.uk/college-life/learning-support
Click here to find out more about finance support: https://wvr.ac.uk/college-life/financial-support
Why should I choose to study the course at Warrington & Vale Royal College?
This course is delivered by our expert teachers and is designed in collaboration with industry and employers. It is delivered within our state-of-the-art Construction & Civil Engineering Academy at our Warrington campus, fully-equipped with industry-standard workshops, tools, equipment and emerging technologies.
The unique blend of classroom, workshop delivery and industry placement will fully prepare you for your next steps, whether that be skilled employment, university or a higher apprenticeship.
What are the entry requirements?
You will need a minimum of five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English and maths, or you will have needed to have successfully completed a Level 2 course and have GCSE English and maths at grade 4 or above.
Please complete this form if you would like any other information about this course
Other similar courses
These courses may be more suited to your interests or needs