Support for students with special educational needs and disabilities.
Our college recognises that high quality support is an essential part of student success. We have a dedicated team committed to developing the skills, behaviours and attitudes required to enable our students to realise their full potential.
Accessing learning support
When you apply for a course you are encouraged to disclose any disability or learning difficulty on the application form, so that we can ensure the appropriate support is in place.
You may be referred to learning support through your school, tutor, Progress Coach or you may self-refer.
Our Additional Learning Support team can support learners who have a range of additional support needs including:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Specific learning difficulties including Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or Dyscalculia
- Medical conditions
- Visual stress
- Communication difficulties
- Social, emotional and mental health
- Moderate learning difficulties
- ADD or ADHD
- Mobility difficulties
- Sensory impairments including hearing and visual
- Speech, language and communication needs.
What support do we offer?
The college offers a variety of support depending on the students' needs, as well as supporting SEND students with their transition into college.
Support may include:
- In-class support (prompts, readers and scribe)
- Mobility support
- Specialist resources and equipment (laptops with assistive software, dictaphone and reader pens)
- Modification of learning materials
- Lunchtime and break support
- Meet and greet
- Exam access arrangements*
- Support in and out of timetabled sessions from experienced Learning Support Assistants and Study Support Mentors
- Assistive technology coaching, mentoring and support.
Exam access arrangements
Transition & EHCPs
Our specialist assessors can provide exam access arrangements if required including:
- A reader or computer reader
- A scribe or use of voice recognition technology
- Extra time
- Separate room
- Rest breaks
- Modified papers
- A prompt.
The support we offer is all about you and your learning needs. We will make every effort to tailor support to meet your individual needs.
Students can request an appointment with our Learning Support Team by dropping into Learner Services or emailing email@example.com.
We visit schools and attend annual reviews to meet with applicants who are interested in progressing to our college.
- Pre-enrolment visits and opportunities to meet with tutors and support staff
- Transition visits during the summer break to help learners adjust to the college campuses
- Taster days in the vocational subject areas.
If you have an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP), we will produce a bespoke support plan outlining the support that you need at college.
We are part of the Local Offer where each local authority must publish information about services available to young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities. This information can include education, health and care services, leisure activities and support.Learn More