Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content
Warrington & Vale Royal College Logo
  • 16-18 Year Olds
  • Adults
  • View all Courses
  • Subject Areas
  • Employers
  • Work with Us
  • About
  • Campus & Facilities
  • College Life
  • Events & News
  • Parents & Carers
  • Contact Us

T Levels

A new choice - T Levels are a brand-new qualification designed to give you a head start towards the future you want. These two year courses follow GCSEs and are equivalent to 3 A Levels, combining academic classroom-based learning with a meaningful industry placement. They provide a good alternative to A Levels or BTEC and technical courses.


As nationally-recognised qualifications, T Levels are worth UCAS points and are accepted by employers, universities and other education providers. For example, a T Level Distinction* is equivalent to 3 A* grades at A Level.


Each T Level includes a mandatory industry placement. You will gain valuable experience in the workplace and learn what a real career is like. Industry experience is an important part of your studies and will help you stand out when applying for university, an apprenticeship or a job in the future.


As a T Level student, you will spend 80% of your time in the classroom, learning the knowledge and in-demand skills that companies look for. The other 20% is spent completing industry placement with an employer, where you put these skills into action.

Why study a T Level with us?

  • We are extremely proud to work in partnership with over 500 local, national and international employers to provide outstanding industry opportunities for our students.
  • Industry experience is an important part of your studies and will help you stand out from the crowd when you’re applying for university, an apprenticeship or a job. We have a dedicated Industry Placement Team who will support you with finding a placement provider.
  • New state-of-the-art facilities within our specialist training academies provide you with outstanding learning environments that replicate real-world.
What is a T Level Video

What is a T Level Foundation Year?

As part of our commitment to providing outstanding technical education, we're thrilled to announce the launch of our six new T Level Foundation Years for September 2024. These exciting year-long courses bridge the gap between GCSEs and T Levels for pupils who may not quite meet the entry requirements to start on a T level immediately.

T Level Foundation Years are designed to equip students with fundamental knowledge and practical skills, preparing them for their upcoming T Level and the exciting world of work. The course will focus on building students' English, maths, and digital skills within a context relevant to their chosen industry.

Tackling T Levels

What is the difference between technical qualifications, A Levels and T Levels?

A Levels are assessed mainly through exams, while diploma courses are assessed mainly by coursework. In terms of UCAS points, level 3 diploma vocational qualifications are often equivalent to three A Levels. T Levels have been co-created with over 250 employers to combine classroom study with a 45-day industry placement. T Levels are equivalent to three A Levels and are assessed by both exams and coursework.

Can I go to university after studying a T Level?

Yes. T Levels are nationally-recognised qualifications and worth UCAS points, therefore are accepted by universities and other education providers.

How do T Levels differ from an apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is typically 80% on-the-job and 20% in the classroom, as opposed to T Levels where 80% of your study programme is classroom-based and 20% is spent completing an industry placement.

Lewis Tilston
Lewis Tilston

Previous school: St Gregory's Catholic High School
College course:
T Level Onsite Construction: Carpentry & Joinery

After getting fantastic results in his GCSEs, Lewis was looking for a course that would challenge him but also give him the opportunity to work more practically, which he prefers. He spent a year doing A Levels, but felt like they were not helping him reach his goal of gaining a higher apprenticeship, so wanted to change to a course with a strong career focus. He said:

“I chose to join Warrington & Vale Royal College because it has lots of strong apprenticeships routes and studying a T Level here will help me achieve my goal quicker! My course has been great so far and I am really looking forward to starting my industry placement.”