Level 3 Certificate Counselling Skills
What is the course about?
This course will develop your existing counselling skills and lead you towards a rewarding career as a professional counsellor. During this course you will put your counselling skills into practice and examine counselling theories in more depth.
Why should I choose the course?
This course is specifically designed to build upon your skills and help you take the next step towards becoming a counsellor. It will also help you continue your skills development for voluntary work or employment. Please note that this level does not qualify you to be a counsellor.
What will I learn?
The course involves experiential elements and learning that will involve some personal disclosure and associated personal development activities. The course aims to help you:
- Learn more about counselling theory and agency work, develop an understanding of what it means to work with listening skills in a professional organisation, learn about working with codes of ethics and boundaries.
- Explore the effects of attitudes and personal value choices brought to the counselling relationship, and particular ways in which this may help or hinder the counselling process.
- Consider issues relating to valuing diversity within ourselves and work situations, including mental health issues.
- Increase your knowledge and understanding of person-centred counselling theory and process and discover ways in which counsellors can facilitate the counselling process.
- Further develop your understanding of group tasks, processes, and dynamics through participating in a learning group and reflecting on the experience and its influence on personal and professional development.
- Explore in general terms how research informs the development of counselling theory and counselling practice.
In addition, you will also complete a distance learning course: Mental Health First Aid & Mental Health Advocacy in the Workplace. This is free of charge and will enhance and support your Counselling qualification.
What will the course lead on to?
Successful completion of this course will allow you to apply for higher level qualifications. Please be aware that if your long-term goal is to work in an area with vulnerable adults or any person under the age of 18, it will be necessary to undergo a disclosure and barring services (DBS) check at your place of employment. If you have a criminal conviction this may exclude you from working in some job roles.
Are there any links with industry and university?
The skills and knowledge acquired on this course are transferrable to a wide range of career and educational opportunities.
What support is available?
We have a team of staff dedicated to providing learning support if required, as well as a Welfare Team that is on hand to offer guidance, support and help when needed. Additionally, eligible students can access a wide range of finance and funding support to help them during their time at college.
Click here for learning support: https://wvr.ac.uk/college-life/learning-support
Click here for finance support: https://wvr.ac.uk/college-life/financial-support
Why should I choose to study the course at Warrington & Vale Royal College?
The college offers a range of flexible learning opportunities to students. Professional qualifications are delivered within our specialist Business School and are supported through digital virtual learning environments and digital learning tools. Our tutors are highly experienced and skilled in their specialist professional sectors and enhance the courses they teach on with their excellent industry links.
What are the entry requirements?
You should have previously undertaken 90 hours of counselling skills training, for instance by having completed an accredited level 2 counselling skills certificate.
You will also need to have an interview to assess your eligibility for the course. You will need to be able to demonstrate your ability to handle the level of academic work required and show willingness to take responsibility for yourself.
You must be able to respect others regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability. You will also be required to submit a personal statement discussing your reasons for applying to this course, along with a character reference.
What are my funding options?
For further information about funding, please contact our Learner Services Team on 01925 494400 or email@example.com.
Are there any additional costs associated with the course?
No additional costs are expected on this course.
Please complete this form if you would like any other information about this course
Other similar courses
These courses may be more suited to your interests or needs