Level 3 Science Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeship
Engineering & Science
What is the apprenticeship about?
Science manufacturing technicians work in a wide range of companies, including, but not exclusively, chemical, primary and secondary pharmaceutical, biotechnology, formulated products and nuclear manufacturing.
A science manufacturing technician will operate the systems and equipment, involved in the production of products. They may work in varied conditions including wearing specialist safety equipment, shift work and on sites running 365 day operations. Many companies operate under highly regulated conditions and a premium is placed on appropriate attitudes and behaviours to ensure employees comply with organisational safety and regulatory requirements.
Science manufacturing technicians are expected to work both individually and as part of a manufacturing team. They are able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work they undertake. They are proactive in finding solutions to problems and identifying areas for improving their work environment.
Why should I choose this apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships allow you to learn the right skills, gain great work experience and earn a wage. As an apprentice maintenance operations engineering technician you will learn the skills, knowledge and behaviours required to undertake an electrical or mechanical technician role by attending tutored sessions in college and gaining valuable industrial experience with your employer.
This apprenticeship standard is occupational competence for Science Manufactiring Technician.
What will I learn?
The apprenticehip programme will equip you with core skills and knowledge which will enable you to;
- Independently and within a team start-up a manufacturing batch or continuous process in line with appropriate Standard Operating Procedures, understanding the principles of operation.
- Independently and within a team operate a manufacturing batch or continuous process in line with appropriate Standard Operating Procedures, understanding the principles of operation.
- Independently and within a team shut down/complete a run of the manufacturing batch or continuous process in line with appropriate Standard Operating Procedures, understanding the principles of operation.
- Work safely in a science manufacturing environment, understanding personal responsibility for Health, Safety and the Environment and principles of risk management
- Understand and follow quality procedures to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to the workplace.
- Understand the internal and external regulatory environment pertinent to the sector and the employer and comply with regulations proficiently.
- Control and monitor a process or plant and equipment, effectively, efficiently and securely, and resolve problems or correct abnormal conditions.
- Complete documentation relevant to the manufacturing process including relevant calculations.
- Understand the business environment in which the company operates including personal role within the organisation, ethical practice and codes of conduct.
- Participate in continuous performance improvement.
- Develop and apply theoretical knowledge of relevant science and technology and its application to the required sector and job role.
How is the apprenticeship delivered?
Classroom sessions at college will provide you with the underpinning knowledge, skills, and behaviours required to successfully achieve your apprenticeship.
In addition, one-to-one sessions will take place in the workplace to complete progress reviews, observations of work-based activities, professional discussions, and assess workplace product evidence.
What will the apprenticeship lead on to?
The apprenticeship will lead to full time employment or higher level apprenticeship or HNC in Engineering.
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship and receipt of the apprenticeship certificate, individuals are eligible to apply for RSciTech (The Science Council for Registered Science Technician) through a shortened application route. Individuals also need to be a member of a professional body that is licensed by the Science Council to be awarded this status. Further information is on the Science Council’s website.
This standard meets the professional standards of the Engineering Council for registration as an Engineering Technician (EngTech). Registration is subject to candidates successfully completing the appropriate learning, developing the appropriate competence, and undergoing professional review.
What support is available?
You will be allocated a designated apprenticeship coach to guide you through your apprenticeship. We have a team of staff dedicated to providing learning support if required, as well as a Welfare Team that is on hand to offer guidance, support and help when needed.
Click here for learning support: https://wvr.ac.uk/college-life/learning-support
Why should I choose to study this apprenticeship with Warrington & Vale Royal College?
We are one of the top-performing further education colleges for apprenticeships. Over nine in ten of our apprentices continue in employment or receive a promotion once they have completed their apprenticeship. We also have a dedicated apprenticeship matching service which matches your skills to a suitable apprenticeship employer. The college is dedicated to supporting you on-programme and helping you progress on to the next step.
What are the entry requirements?
Entry requirements for this apprenticeship programme are GCSE grades 9-4, or level 2 functional skills qualifications in English and maths. We will consider those who need to resit either their English or maths qualification, however those that need to resit both will not meet the entry requirements for this apprenticeship programme.
If you are required to resit either English or maths, you will be invited to undertake an initial assessment. If deemed suitable, you must be willing to achieve your level 2 English/maths qualification before the end of the apprenticeship programme as part of your study.
Other similar courses
These courses may be more suited to your interests or needs