Level 3 Motor Vehicle and Maintenance Technician (Light Vehicle) Apprenticeship
What is the apprenticeship about?
This apprenticeship is for anyone developing a career in the motor industry. These practical qualifications demonstrate your skills on the job, in your own workplace, showing that you meet national standards for automotive workers.
Their structure and assessment strategy have been produced by the Institute of the Motor Industry, who are the Sector Skills Council for the Automotive Industry.
All apprentices commencing their apprenticeship must have an Apprenticeship Agreement between the employer and the apprentice. This can be used to reinforce the understanding of the requirements of the apprenticeship.
On completion of the apprenticeship the apprentice must be able to undertake the full range of duties, in the range of circumstances appropriate to the job, confidently and competently to the standard set by the industry.
Why should I choose this apprenticeship?
As a motor vehicle apprentice you will be immersed in the fast-paced and thriving world of the automotive industry. You will undertake a range of duties including maintaining and repairing light vehicles such as cars and vans, as well as diagnosing faults and finding appropriate solutions. In addition, you will carry out useful tasks such as routine servicing and inspection procedures. The tasks you will face will be ever-changing, with new technologies and diagnostic techniques constantly being introduced.
What will I learn?
Units cover :
- Competency in health, safety and good housekeeping in the automotive environment
- Competency in supporting job roles in the automotive work environment
- Skills in materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices in the automotive environment
- Competency in making learning possible through demonstrations and instruction
- Competency in identifying and agreeing motor vehicle customer service needs
- Knowledge of health, safety and good housekeeping in the automotive environment
- Knowledge of support for job roles in the automotive work environment
- Knowledge of materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices used in the automotive environment
Candidates will undertake both a competency assessment building a portfolio of evidence and attend college on day release undertaking the knowledge elements.
- Functional Skills level 2 in Maths and English
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- PLTS Personal learning and thinking skills
How is the apprenticeship delivered?
Practical units are assessed by compiling a portfolio of set tasks which are checked by our qualified assessors/tutors. Knowledge units are assessed by on-line examinations and practical assessments.. Work based units are assessed onsite by assessor coaches.
Candidates cover areas such as routine vehicle maintenance, removal and replacement of vehicle units and components and diagnosis and rectification of vehicle faults. They are assessed in the workplace by using the following methods:
• workplace observation
• witness testimony
• verbal questioning of essential knowledge
• City & Guilds’ GOLA multiple choice test
What will the apprenticeship lead on to?
You could progress onto full-time permanent employment after completing this qualification.
What support is available?
You will be allocated a designated apprentice coach to guide you through your apprenticeship. We also have a team of staff dedicated to providing learning support if it is required and a welfare team that are on hand to offer guidance, support and help when needed.
Why should I choose to study this apprenticeship with Warrington & Vale Royal College?
We are one of the top performing further education college for apprenticeships. More than 9 out of 10 of our apprentices continue in employment or receive a promotion once they have finished their apprenticeship. We also have a dedicated matching service where we match your skills to a suitable employer, and our experienced team will work with you to guide you through your apprenticeship.
What are the entry requirements?
There are no set entry requirements however Maths, English and ICT is required at level 2.
Other similar courses
These courses may be more suited to your interests or needs