Work experience is an important part of your studies. It will help you to stand out from the crowd when you’re applying for university, an apprenticeship or a job.
As a student at Warrington & Vale Royal College, you won’t just spend your time in the classroom; you will work alongside high-profile employers and gain valuable work experience.
All of our students are expected to complete a work placement, which can range from one day per week to a one week block or even longer. We have a dedicated Work Placement Team on hand to help you when it comes to finding an employer or organising your placement.
Finding your work placement
Showing you have the initiative to find your own work placement is one of the best ways to enter the world of work, and it will help your reputation as a great student and employee too. It means that you get the experience that you really want, and employers will be impressed by your enthusiasm, motivation and maturity. It’s a great idea to get ahead of the game and seek-out your own employer before you start. You’ll need to complete a Self Sourcing Form if you are obtaining a work placement for yourself.
Benefits of a work placement
- Great for your CV and UCAS personal statement
- Develops your understanding of the workplace and your role as an employee
- Enhances your skills and knowledge, informing your learning in your course
- Gives you an insight into the job and industry you dream of working in
- It’s a great ‘foot in the door’ allowing you to make valuable contacts with the company. Many of our students go on to secure work with their work placement employers.
We actively encourage our learners to take part in volunteering to enhance their work related activity, confidence and their CV. Working closely with Warrington Voluntary Action there are lots of great volunteering options available to our students.