Image of Mid Cheshire College building

School Leaver funding support

You may be entitled to financial support to help you during your time at college. As you progress towards your future career, our Financial Support Team will provide you with advice and guidance on all money matters.

What funding can I apply for?

If you are aged 16-19 at the start of your course and your joint household income is £31,000* or less per year, you may be eligible to receive financial support from the 16-19 Bursary Fund.

There are two types of bursary:

  • 16-19 Vulnerable Fund – If you are living in care, are a care leaver or you are receiving income support, Universal Credit, Employment Support Allowance or PIP together with the Disability Living Allowance, then you may be eligible to receive a bursary up to £1,200 a year (pro rata) in support with education-related costs.
  • 16-19 Fund – This could support you with the costs of transport, meals in college, uniform, equipment and materials, trips, course related costs (including DBS checks and visits), UCAS fees and travel to university interviews/open days, or one off emergency costs.

FREE Meals

If you or your family receive certain benefits you may be entitled to Free College Meals funding- please ask and we will check.

How can I apply for financial support?

Once you have enrolled with us you will be able to apply to the bursary. You will need to complete an application form, available from the Welfare Team. You will also need to provide evidence of any benefits you or your family receive and other proof of household income.

Please note that payments will only be made into the student’s bank account. Assessments will be made on a first come, first served basis.

*Correct in 2021/22. Subject to change each academic year.

Contacts us

Welfare Team
01925 494501

Useful information

Child benefit
If you are in full time further education, this will continue to be paid until your twentieth birthday.

Childcare support
Learners who are under 20 at the start of the course, should apply to Care to Learn. Care to Learn will pay a contribution to childcare and any necessary travel costs to and from your childcare provider.

NHS Charges
If you are aged 16-19 years and attend college on a full time basis, you will be exempt from NHS charges.