Our Planet is our key priority
Sustainability is a key priority for Warrington & Vale Royal College. We are committed to raising awareness and the implementation of sustainable practices in all aspects of college life.
We are committed to continuously improving our sustainability approach, through the promotion of environmental awareness and responsibility, and embedding sustainability principles across the college. Sustainability leads are appointed within our governor and leadership teams to ensure that this remains a key focus.
The college Sustainability Committee meet on a regular basis to discuss cross-college activity, share ideas, consider current issues and the effects of our activities on, not just college, but all of our lives and futures.
We have a green campus where we maintain and monitor the trees/species that we share it with and take these into consideration in everything that we do.
Progress with all things sustainable in 2021 include:
- Flexible working principles established for all staff
- Working from home policy updated
- Significant reduction in printed materials in line with digital strategy
- All waste sent to Murf (Material recovery facility) for segregation on recycling as appropriate
- Confidential waste sent for recycling under GDPR
- Recycling of materials in construction trades
- Scrap metal materials sold and monies reinvested
- Fitted brise soleil and solar film to buildings to reduce the need for mechanised cooling systems
- Localised timers on all point of use hot water boilers
- Sensors on corridors, storerooms and staircases
- Phased move to LED lighting throughout all campuses
- New building management system (BMS) fitted in 2021. Both sites controlled centrally
- Fitted non-concussive taps in all toilets and washroom areas
- Wildlife area created onsite
- Native fruit baring trees planted to attract wildlife
- Fitted bird boxes onsite
- Reduced opening hours at the Winsford campus. Condensed teaching week at Warrington campus.
Sustainable Development Goals
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) or Global Goals are a collection of 17 interlinked global goals designed to be a “blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all.” The SDGs were set up in 2015 by the United Nations General Assembly and are intended to be achieved by the year 2030.